GEO is passionate about study abroad and hopes that every student is able to participate in a life-changing experience abroad. We encourage all interested students to apply for a scholarship and participate in a GEO study abroad experience.
More than 70% of all GEO study abroad participants, study or intern abroad during the summer. Find out how you can apply for a GEO scholarship or grant. Open to all students appplying for a GEO study abroad program.
The following scholarships are available to UO and non-UO students:
GEO Ambassador Scholarship
The GEO Ambassador Scholarship is a scholarship available to all students applying to GEO faculty-led programs and GEO Center programs. Individual awards range from $500-$1,500. This scholarship considers:
- Academic standing
- Scholarship application essay
- Project proposal
- Financial need
Winter Quarter: November 1, 2017
Spring Semester: November 1, 2017
Spring Quarter: February 1, 2018
Summer: March 10, 2018
Fall Semester/Quarter: April 10, 2018
Note: UO students will apply for the GEO Ambassador Scholarship as part of the General Study Abroad Scholarships application in our application system
During and/or after their study abroad program, recipients will be asked create a multimedia project of their own design that effectively and creatively communicates their experience. You can choose to focus on a particular element of your study abroad experience (curriculum, location, excursions, etc.), or on your experience as a whole. To help convey your story in an accessible and engaging manner, the project may include (but is not limited to):
- Blogs (regularly updated while abroad)
In the academic year following their return, scholarship recipients will be expected to act as “Ambassadors” for GEO, sharing their experiences with others on their home campus, in their community and beyond. Please note, scholarship recipients who will not be on their home campus the following year can still act as a GEO Ambassador. Responsibilities of a GEO Ambassador may include (but will not be limited to):
- Presenting on your experience at various local events.
- Answering questions from peers and/or potential students in person or via e-mail/telephone.
- Representing GEO at your school’s study abroad fair.
Map Your Future Scholarship
This scholarship is available to freshmen and can be used for a study abroad program at any time during your college career. A number of scholarships of $1,000 each will be awarded. These scholarship funds can be used for an eligible study abroad program any term from summer 2018 to summer 2021.
- University of Oregon students or students from a GEO partner or affiliate. Full list here: https://geo.uoregon.edu/partners
- Freshmen or First Year Students
- Note: first-year students with sophomore standing (more than 44 quarter or 29 semester credits) due to AP or IB credits are eligible
- Transfer students with less than 45 transfer credits from a previous college/university are eligible to apply
- Demonstrated financial need
- Please note: Students must also later meet the eligibility requirements of their selected study abroad program, which will be determined prior to their departure.
Note: you do not need to know which program you plan to participate in when you apply for the scholarship, and applying for the scholarship does not mean you are committing to a study abroad program.
UO students may use this scholarship towards any GEO or GEO-sponsored study abroad or internship abroad program. GEO and GEO-sponsored programs can be found on the GEO website: http://geo.uoregon.edu/programs.
GEO partner campus students may use this scholarship towards any GEO program.
May 1, 2018
Follow-on requirement for recipients
A follow-on requirement of the Map Your Future Scholarship is that recipients will share their experiences and encourage other students to study abroad. More information is available in the online application.
Please feel free to contact us at GEOglobe@uoregon.edu with any questions you may have.